Maintaining a home is a lot of work, particularly if you’re still living in a larger family home that you have had for years. As we enter old age it can often become difficult to continue with the upkeep of your home to the standard you once did.
A clean and uncluttered house and backyard is imperative to your own personal hygiene and safety. A Southcare aged care worker is able to work with you to continue to maintain your home. Unlike a cleaner, your aged care worker focuses on your health and safety as the priority when completing tasks. They work with you in maintaining the independence you require to continue to live happily within your own home.
The Importance of Remaining Independent
Do you find gardening peaceful? Maybe you have a great sense of pride in your roses that you have been nurturing for years. Is organising your craft room a past time of yours? Do you still have a passion for cooking and baking and enjoy being in the kitchen regularly? It is important to understand that your aged care worker does not want to take away your independence within your own home. Instead, they are there to assist you in being independent to continue to do the things that you love and enjoy.
When you first begin receiving services with Southcare your Home Care Coordinator will have a chat with you to get to know what help you specifically require and what things you can continue to do yourself. Your aged care worker wants you to continue doing the jobs you are able to assist in giving you a sense of purpose and independence. However, if certain tasks are becoming more difficult, your aged care worker is able to help you to make them easier.
For example, if you love to cook but find the repetitive actions of cutting up vegetables painful on your wrists your aged care worker would be able to come in and assist you with meal prep tasks such as chopping vegetables. Then you can use the pre-prepared food to make your own meals throughout the week. If you enjoy tidying your home your aged care worker is able to come in and complete the vacuuming and mopping, while you continue to dust, wipe surfaces and tidy the house. This service ensures you’re able to continue with a task you enjoy but takes away the strain that the task can cause.
Continuing to be active with general day-to-day duties around the house is a great way to remain both physically and mentally fit.
What Your Aged Care Worker Will Help You With
Depending on the type of care that you require and the level of Home Care Package that you currently receive, there is a wide range of services that your aged care worker is able to help you with. Some of the most common Home Care Services provided by an aged care worker includes:
- Personal care – dressing, grooming, medication and welfare visits
- Transport – medical appointments, shopping and community activities
- Domestic Assistance – light meals, washing, vacuuming etc
- Social Centre – events, movies, day trips and activities
- Garden maintenance – minor maintenance to keep you safe in your garden
- Community Visitors Scheme – companionship visits
- Respite – a break for your carer from their regular role
- Dementia Services – specialised care and attention
- Though the above services are the most common that Southcare provide, we also have a range of less regular or common services that we can arrange with local service providers on your behalf.
- Major Gardening Services – major clean up, lawn mowing and edging, reticulation, skip bins and tree lopping
- Medical Services – nursing services on call, podiatry at home, occupational therapy at home, physio programs at home and exercise services
- Trade and Maintenance Contractors – air-conditioning and refrigeration, electrical, locksmith, pest control, plumbing and vacuum cleaner service and repair.
- Special Home Care Services – blind and curtain cleaning, carpet, tile and rug cleaning, gutter cleaning, spring cleaning, laundry services and window cleaning
It is important for our customers to understand that the above common list of services are regularly provided by Southcare aged care workers. These are the tasks that your aged care worker are able to provide to assist you in the general up keep of your home to keep it safe, tidy and well presented. These services also assist you to maintain your general wellbeing and personal hygiene where certain tasks may become too difficult to complete on your own.
Why It’s Important To Understand Your Aged Care Workers Role
It’s important to know what services that your aged care worker is able to provide to ensure you understand their role in assisting you. Having clear and realistic expectations about your services helps us ensure we are able to provide you with the level of service you are happy with and that you were expecting when you initially signed up with Southcare.
For More Information
If you have any questions about the services you receive or would like to receive any additional services it is important you contact the team at Southcare. Give us a call on 9450 6233 and ask to have a chat to your dedicated Home Care Coordinator. They will be able to review your level of service and what services you currently receive and make recommendations to suit your needs.